Clark Transport Wales for horses, ponies, donkeys, mules, cattle, alpaca, llamas, sheep, pigs

L Clark Livestock Transport - Farm Assured, DEFRA type 2 authorised transport

Lucy preparing to loadL Clark Livestock Transport is based in Mid / West Wales, between Aberystwyth & Lampeter and specialises in moving small numbers of equines, camelids, cattle, sheep, pigs - in fact animals of any species, direct to their destination. The owner, Lucy Clark, has thirty years of experience with most types of livestock. Transport is available at any time, within reason, for emergencies, shows, sales, etc.

The legal bit

Due to the change in welfare in transit regulations, all drivers of vehicles carrying animals for any commercial reason are obliged to have a Certificate of Competence. They also must hold an Authorisation from DEFRA. Any vehicle over 3.5 tonnes must also have an Operator’s License. All vehicles must have insurance to carry other people’s goods. All this paperwork must be carried on the vehicle at all times. These regulations do not apply to anyone carrying their own pet animals for pleasure.

Qualifications and Inspections

Lucy Clark holds a standard National Operator’s License, a Type 2 DEFRA Authorisation and a Certificate of Competence to carry sheep, cattle or horses for over 8 hours, within the U.K. The truck has a Farm Assurance Certificate and a DEFRA Certificate to carry livestock for up to 12 hours. Certificates of Competence for goats, pigs or deer can be obtained if necessary. Any other type of animal not requiring a separate certificate can be carried.

2 decks for sheep transportCapacity of Clark Transport lorry

The truck is a 7.5 tonne vehicle with an alloy box specifically designed to carry livestock.

Maximum capacities are:

Relevant paperwork for stock being carried

All livestock must have the relevant paperwork. Any pre-movement testing required, e.g. for T.B. in cattle, is the responsibility of the owner. It is a legal requirement that passports for cattle and horses are carried on the vehicle when they move. Please make sure all animals are correctly ear-tagged before they are loaded. There are currently additional restrictions due to Blue Tongue - It is not possible to move animals from a restricted to an un-restricted area. Horses are exempt from these restrictions.


All stock are carried under R.H.A Conditions of Carriage of Livestock, a copy of which is available on request. This includes a certain amount of death in transit cover. Your usual insurance should cover your animals in transit.

Horse Transport

Horses have their own peculiarities when being transported. They can be difficult to load, but are usually fine once the vehicle is moving.

Lucy Clark does not undertake shared loads. They add an unnecessary delay to the journey, may involve the horse being unloaded and re-loaded en route and expose the horse to possible infections or injuries due to contact with strangers.

All horses are loaded at the departure premises and taken direct to their destination. The exception is when friends are sharing transport, either from, or to, the same place.

There are partitions for 4 horses. Young or unhandled horses can be carried loose as there is a full height, solid partition. The floor has rubber mats and each horse can be inspected from outside the vehicle. The truck is available for shows and will remain on the showground so that you have somewhere to tie your horse between classes. The driver will be there to keep an eye on things for you.

The truck is available to hire for loading training of horses. Lucy has had many years of experience of loading horses and can help you with yours.

Why use a licensed transporter?

Many horse owners wonder why they should pay for horse transport, when they have a friend who will do it for much less!

The simple answer is: It is not legal to transport another person’s animals for any commercial purpose unless you are properly qualified, licensed and insured.

You may share expenses with a friend to take your horse with theirs to a show without all the necessary welfare qualifications. However, if their vehicle is over 3.5 tonnes they will fall foul of the operator’s licensing laws. If caught, their vehicle may be confiscated. Their motor insurance will also be invalid. You may also find that, if there is an accident, your own horse will not be covered by your insurer.

Buying or selling a horse requires a licensed transporter, unless you do the job yourself. Having the Certificate of Competence alone does not allow someone to move your horse.

If you are not sure of the legality of your transporter, ask to see their licenses and authorisations. They must, by law, be carried in the vehicle at all times.


Designed and hosted by Flash Granny Web Design Wales